SketchUp is a simple yet powerful 3D modelling program. This advanced session will cover materials, i.e. the textures that are applied to the surfaces of a 3D model. Materials are a key way of adding detail and realism to a model, and keeping a model 'light' by avoiding adding unnecessary geometry.
- Principles of texturing 3D models using 2D images
- Applying and editing existing SketchUp materials
- Creating new materials from digital photographs
- Positioning materials on model faces
- Using transparency in materials
- Creating 'face me' components, e.g. people, trees
- Matching models to digital site photos
- Projecting site photography onto models
|Intended audience||Students who want to work with materials at an advanced level to create detailed, complex models|
|Prior knowledge||A basic working knowledge of SketchUp from 'SketchUp: An introduction to 3D modelling'|
|Format||Presentation with practical exercises|
|Where next?||The parallel sesion is SketchUp: Advanced techniques - materials. Digital images courses would be helpful for working with materials.|
Frequency: Every term subject to teacher availability. Express an interest in future dates for this course.